Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dear Money-Grubbing Record Companies

Most of the time I don't pay any attention to what is scrolling across my HD radio in my car. But today I happened to look down and notice that My 99.5 was beaming SAVEYOURRADIO.ORG during a commercial break. I hate radio commercials, so it was amazing that I even had the commercial on long enough to see the message.

So I looked up the website to see what it's all about. Apparently record companies want to get money from everything and everyone who listens to music they produce, and this time they're attacking radio stations. They want Congress to pass a tax on radio stations for playing their music. Radio is about the only thing that is free these days, but if this law is created, a lot of radio stations will go out of business, and I think radio as we know it will cease to exist.

I don't know about you, but the only way I really know what is going on in the music world is through radio when I'm in my car. If I hear a song I like on the radio, there's a good chance that I will go buy it on iTunes. I don't buy CDs anymore--I just buy mp3s.

That's the only way the music companies make money from me. Kill radio, and you'll never see any of my money again. I don't want to give it to you anyway because most of you don't even reside in this country. I'm contributing to someone else's economy.

I'm pretty sure a lot of other people follow the same philosophy. So stop trying to kill things, like Pandora. (It's still kicking, BTW.) Stop spending money on stupid things. Save public radio.

There's a petition on the website here. If you listen to public radio, go ahead and sign it.

No comments: