Friday, August 7, 2009

Welcome to Hallmark Ink

About This Site

Hallmark means a standard of quality. Ink has multiple meanings in who I am. It's a deliberate I-N-K; I am a communications manager who is dedicated to technology's use of the English Language but who also knows concepts of design and loves to muse about paper, fonts, printing, and most significantly, my own projects.

The content for this site was originally posted on Deckled Paper, a blog that originated as a place to share bookbinding ideas with my friend Katya (but has since been retired), and what is now my private family-related blog, The Duchess Manual of Style, which is why, if you go through the archives, you'll see years of postdated entries with no comments. (I may or may not move them back over.)

About Me

In high school I wanted to be an editor. I worked as the copy and layout editor for the yearbook staff, which helped funnel my editing passion into a career path. In college I studied English with an editing emphasis and held several part-time editing jobs, both freelance and employed.

However, as I entered the workforce I realized that I didn't want to edit my entire life; I have always had a passion for design technique as well. I have been interested in design for as long as I can remember (that Yearbook class held a double standard). I took my first bookbinding class in 2006 at Brigham Young University and have been experimenting on my own ever since. I've also been dabbling with Adobe Illustrator and creating print and digital projects on my own.

Soon afterwards, I enrolled in a Technical Communications master's degree program that combined all of my interests: editing, design (both print and web), technical writing, usability testing, and the like.

So in short, I am an English-major-turned-communications convert who realizes that there is more to communicating than just a well-edited phrase. The world of technical communication holds much to be explored. My career philosophy is to be involved in something that differs enough to make things interesting yet solid enough to let me strengthen my skills.

Currently I work as a communications manager in the network marketing industry, and my networking has given me an occasional evening job as a consultant. Lately I've critiqued and redesigned resumes, edited books for friends, and written website text. But I also design invitations, explore the world of photography, and develop ideas from my bookbinding magazines. Diversity has its perks.

Contact
You can reach me at erin (at) hallmarkink (dot) com.

No comments: